Wednesday 31 May 2017

Cathy Potosky 's Junk Journal Mini Album.

Hi everyone, my name is Cathy and I'm am very excited and honoured to be sharing a project here at My Grandma's Teacups, thank you so much for having me Tracy!

For this mixed media project I put my own twist on a Tim Holtz Worn Cover book. I had grabbed it up for a steal of a deal, even though I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it at first. Then when this opportunity came up, I thought....I know exactly what I want to do and then came across my SRTC Life chipboard piece and thing started to fall into place. I turned it into a kind of "junk journal", but for myself and pics of my kids. 

My kids are adults, my oldest lives with her boyfriend and my son is busy with work, his girlfriend and his car. So my "Life" book is going to be for pics I take when we are all actually at home at the same time. And they might not be pretty LOL The pics going in here are going to be selfies and they could very well be of all of us right when we wake up, hair a mess etc. It's rare that we are all in this house at the same time so now it's Mom imposed selfie time when we are and each pic will get printed and put into my "Life" junk journal! :)










I started with Distress Oxides on the inside cover, splashed some water to get those wonderful splotches and let it dry. I then stencilled over that using the Walnut Stain for a hint of the wildflowers on the inside.




















I used some old paper from my stash because I liked the little sentiments in the corners and got my Distress Oxides ready to ink the front and back covers of my junk journal.

Once the ink was dry I used the wildflower stencil (it is one of my faves) and translucent texture paste on the front cover so it adds texture but no colour. On the back cover I added a touch of shimmery paint to jazz it up a bit.




















I then went to work on embellishments. So many embellishments so little time!! I love flowers of all kinds and had the leaves in my stash. Dyed the flowers using Distress Spray, Distress Oxides and some Finnabair Spark paint.



I got out my Distress Paint and the gorgeous Fractured Ice Embossing Powder and my "Life" chipboard. Painted the word and then embossed it. I love the texture from this ep and loved it with the paint. The top pics are just close ups of how the Distress Oxide looks on the worn cover and paper. I love how it looks like an old water stained book.




















For my inside pages, It was very simple. I used brown packing paper (Amazon used it in their shipments, I may or may not have a lot of it in my house) and for half of the sheets I crumpled them up tight, flattened them back out and ran my Distress Vintage Photo (another fave that seems to end up on every project!) You can get the binder clips to attached to the worn cover, I just used purple hemp twine and a piece of natural twine I had to tie in my pages. 





















Details on the front cover include gemstones for the butterfly body and the flower centre and you can see the clear texture paste on the cover too.



For the back cover I used another piece from SRTC. I just love this chipboard, it can be front and center like on the front and it also makes it a great anchor piece for embellishments like seen here on the back. Added gemstones for the butterfly and the flower centers and a little silver rose charm from Emerald Creek.



And last but not least the spine of the book. I added beads from my stash, charms from EC and a zipper pull I found in a basket of stuff (everyone has a basket of random stuff in their craft space right?)



Be sure to check with Tracy of My Grandma's Teacups and ask her which Southern Ridge Trading Company chipboard pieces she has.....you are going to want to play with these!  Thank you so much for stopping by everyone and I hope you have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment