Mixed Media Subway tile:
- The base of this project is a white subway tile from Lowe's. I picked up a case of these some years back and have never regretted the purchase. They were on sale for 19 cents each. Seriously. What can you buy for 19 cents these days.
- Apply a very thin coat of gesso to the tile. Be sure to keep from going over the same area multiple times as it will actually just take the gesso back off the tile. Let the first coat dry and add a second thin coat of gesso. Dry thoroughly.
- Using your spray inks (I used my Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists) put a few splashes of colour on the tile. Be sure to make it random. Try using a couple of coordinating colours.
- Once dry glue a ripped piece of corrugated cardboard down. Be sure to expose the cool wavy pattern. Carefully gesso over the piece. Allow to dry.
- Glue your favourite metal embellishments to the tile. I used some pretty pieces made by fabscraps. Coat these pieces with gesso and allow to dry.
- Spray the piece gently with your glimmer mists. Once this layer dried I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam to create some intense colour splatters. You can use alcohol inks, paints, glue...whatever you like to add interest to the background.
- Using the same colours of Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam I painted the chipboard cut out "Heart and Soul" (Fabscraps). When it is dry go ahead and glue it on top of the tile.
Tada. Great job!