Wednesday 9 March 2016

Thinking of You Card featuring Gecko Galz Ephemera

Yesterday my work table was covered in half finished projects that I just could not muster the mojo to work on. I decided instead to do the logical thing and push them all of to the side and start something new ;) 

My little guys program coordinator (she is amazing) had a funeral to attend yesterday so I decided to make a simple card to leave on her desk. Well, that was at 10:00, at 11:45 as I was rushing to get out the door for my appointment I realized I had overdone it just a bit.

Showers and combed hair are totally overrated anyway. I did take time to brush my teeth.

This is the card I created:



































Materials: 


12x12 heavy cardstock (I used Bazzil)
(2 )12x12 design paper ( I used a design from the  Kaisercraft "Little Toot" collection)
White cardstock
Vintage Image (I used this image from the Gecko Galz spring release available in April)
Ribbon
Flowers
Leaves
Crystal Gems (mine are from the Dollarama)
Stamps (Close to My Heart S1601 Beloved Bouquet. D1584 Big Hug Occasions, D1476 Card Chatter-Sympathy Occasions)
Ink (Close To My Heart Indian Corn Blue)
Metal Charms
Teal Pearls
Multipurpose Glue (I used the Craft Medley Premium Craft Glue)
6x6 Envelope (For looks only, the flowers make it too puffy to put in, if you want to mail it use flat flowers)
2 Paperclips

How To:



  1. Create a card base using the heavy cardstock (5 3/4 x 11 1/2)
  2. Fold the base into a gatefold by scoring at 3 1/8 and 8 7/8 on the long side.
  3. Crease all the edges using a bone folder for a crisp professional look
  4. (Cut two of these pieces one for the front and one for the inside) Create the front mat using a 5 1/2 square and then a 5 square of the reverse side. Adhere the lighter patterned 5" square to the 5 1/2" square ensuring that it is centered nicely.
  5. Cut the **1** of the matted squares in half and adhere on half to each side of the gatefold base's front
  6. Using your vintage image, create another mat that will complement the size and shape of your image. Be sure to repeat the matting pattern you used for the front of the card. 
  7. Place the matted image on the left panel of your gatefold. Move the image around until you are satisfied with its location. You want it to be as far to the right as you can, while leaving an inch on the left side and not going outside the mat on the right side.
  8. Adhere only the portion that is on the left side panel.
  9. Open the card and create mats for the inside of the card. You can now adhere the mat you prieviously created to the centre space of the inside.
  10. Cut a 5 1/2 x 3 piece and then a 5 x 2 3/4" piece of the reverse pattern.
  11. Adhere this to the inside right panel.
  12. The final mat for the inside will be more challenging as you need to match it up with the overhanging piece with your vintage image on it. I cut a strip of patterned paper 5 1/2 x 8 7/8 and adhered it to the left side panel. I then used my scissors to trim away the excess paper, being sure to match the matting size on the other panels. 
  13. Using white cardstock I created panels for all three inside sections and one to hide on the outside of the right panel under the vintage image. 
  14. Using stamps I created a background type paper with the desired sentiment and inked it all with a piece of sea sponge.
  15. Now for the fun part, add your crystals, beads, charms and flowers to create the look you like.
  16. I added a paper clip between the base and mat on the left inside panel so I could attach a hand written note. This way the card can be easily regifted to the next person needing a pick me up.
  17. The second paper clip I used to attach the envelope to the back of the card. Why? I am not sure, but it felt unfinished without the envelope.






Great job! I am sure the recipient of your card will cherish it.



If you like my card please share it, tweet it, instagram or pin it!



No comments:

Post a Comment